Handguns - Auto Pistols Talk about your bottom feeders here

Post New Thread Thread Tools
Old 01-20-2011, 09:37 PM   #1
gokyo
Immigrant from GTR

gokyo is posting some good stuff
Kahr p45 vs Glock 36

Kahr p45 vs Glock 36

So what do you think. If you you were only gonna buy 1 single stack poly 45 which would you get.

Kahr P45

Kahr P45
Length 6.1"
Barrel length 3.64 Polygonal rifling
Height 4.8"
Width 1.0"
Mass 18.1 oz
6 rounds 45 ACP

Glock 36

Glock 36
Length 6.8"
Barrel Length 3.8" Polygonal rifling
Height 4.8"
Width 1.1"
Mass 20.1 oz
6 round 45 ACP

For comparisons

1911 compact

Kimber Carry Ultra
length 6.8"
Barrel length 3.0" lands and grooves
Height 4.8"
Width 1.3"
Mass 25.0 oz
7 rounds 45ACP

Screw it.... Just get a real gun

10mm glock 29

Glock 29
length 6.8"
Barrel length 3.8" Polygonal
Height 4.5"
Width 1.3"
Mass 24.7 oz
10 rounds of 10mm goodness

Thanks for the help. I love my g29 why would I want a wimpy 45 ACP.

Courage is grace under pressure

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
gokyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 10:48 PM   #2
Dark Horse
Loves Snow

Dark Horse is on a distinguished road
All of them

Of the two specified the G36

Alright you primitive screwheads! Ya see this? This is my BOOMSTICK!
The twelve-gauge double-barreled Remington. S-Mart's top of the line. You can find this in the sporting goods department. That's right, this sweet baby was made in Grand Rapids, Michigan. Retails for about a hundred and nine, ninety five. It's got a walnut stock, cobalt blue steel, and a hair trigger. That's right. Shop smart. Shop S-Mart. You got that?
-Ash, Army of Darkness.
Dark Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 11:34 PM   #3
Boge
GP Expert

Boge is posting some good stuff
Firstly, the .45 loses much in a barrel shorter than a Commander length as HP's don't always open up and 1911's shorter than Commander length are a crap shoot for reliability as well. Also, the G36 has a spotty track record for reliability. Some work great & others don't. If you're dead set on a micro polymer .45 you may check out the S&W M&P as well.
Boge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 05:51 PM   #4
Geoff of WA
New to GP

Geoff of WA is an unknown quantity at this point
I had the Kahr in .40 and now have the Glock 36. For me, the Glock is a far better choice. Might not be true for you.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Geoff of WA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 10:22 PM   #5
mbat
Charlie Brown that is TCB

mbat is on a distinguished road
I've had 4 Kahr polymer series. 3 of them went back to the factory for unexplainable - dimensionally out of tolerance ftf/e, broken trigger return spring, and something else detrimental all right out of the box. The fourth I traded in at a dealer who knew of the problems. I would not sell a kahr to anyone in good conscience. IMO Kahr's are overpriced paperweights - Great theory - terrible engineering and manufacturing qualityfficeffice" />

I do have a G36 amongst other pistols, I have put approx 1200 230 grain fmj's, and approx 100 -200 of golden sabers, gold dots, hst +p, 185 +p, 230 gr std defensive loads with only one conditional stovepipe:

Upon closer examination of the stovepipe (was a reload during an IDPA match) - the casing was stamped Winchester 1942 and the case head looked to be excessively thin. So I don't blame it on the G36.

I think there may have been legitimate issues with the G36 when it first came out - which should be long gone by now. I think a good portion of the G36 issues are user error. The grip has a longer front to back dimension to compensate for the thinness. Also - the gun is lightweight and you need to keep a firm grip. +p loads are uncomfortable and the mag extension flexes a little and pinches your little finger.

I stick with gold dot 230 gr short barrel loads for the ballistic reasons stated above.

I apologize for the bad grammar but I am sick as a dog!
mbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 11:32 PM   #6
BigSlick
Black Assailant

BigSlick is posting some good stuff
Good info all the way around mbat.

I've been watching Kahr posts pretty closely and it seems there are two versions - great ones and otherwise.

No rhyme or reason, just the way it is I guess.

Too bad too, because those that are lucky enough to get one that runs just seem to love em
Old 02-15-2011, 05:45 AM   #7
lcarreau
Reload artist

lcarreau is on a distinguished road
I really like my G36. It is rugged and reliable. The difference in thickness does not sound like much, but it sure feels like a big difference when it comes to carrying it.

-Lonnie
lcarreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 07:52 AM   #8
gokyo
Immigrant from GTR

gokyo is posting some good stuff
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSlick View Post
Good info all the way around mbat.

I've been watching Kahr posts pretty closely and it seems there are two versions - great ones and otherwise.

No rhyme or reason, just the way it is I guess.

Too bad too, because those that are lucky enough to get one that runs just seem to love em
Yeah it breaks my heart too. My Kahr P9 and my dad's Kahr CW9 have both been perfect. However I can not deny that others have had problems with them.

Mine is perfect and you can not have it.

Courage is grace under pressure

gokyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 01:23 PM   #9
creekwalker
GP Expert

creekwalker is on a distinguished road
I like the G-36 far more than any other model offered by Glock. To my mind it is the best balanced for overall size and thickness and is very comfortable to shoot an carry.
The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself.

Friedrich Nietzsche
creekwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 04:25 AM   #10
nsaville
Guardsman

nsaville is an unknown quantity at this point
Mmmmmmm. G29! I love mine, but I sure hope it does better as a defensive gun than it did on "Glock The Plates" last weekend! Fun to shoot, but leaving 3 plates standing after a full magazine is ugly. Was it the gun? The sights? The full power Hornady XTPs? It couldn't have been the shooter, er...
nsaville is offline   Reply With Quote